Saturday, December 27, 2008

Becoming the Consummate Homeschool Family

I read an article this week that described the typical homeschool family to the general public.   The article presented a picture of the family at the grocery store.  Mother was shopping for this week’s menu while her “stair-step” children cheerfully followed after her.  Mother was at peace and in full control.  Her delightful, clean children followed close behind.  The older children lovingly entertained the younger ones, and mother laughed at how easy it was to manage her one-income family with her coupon organizer and frugal meal ideas (OK I added a little extra detail, but you get the idea.).  What a sweet image!
When I survey my rambunctious crew, I wonder- do I deserve to be in the ranks of such giants?  I mean my last trip to the library was more like a scene from “Jungle Book” than from “Peaceable Kingdom”.  Homeschool  kids are reputed as spelling super-stars, geography geniuses, and top-scorers on all the standardized tests.  Are my students measuring up to that reputation? 
When I think about the wonderful example of homeschool families who have gone before ours, I feel humbled by my lack.  However, this week I am encouraged by Paul’s words- not that I have already obtained all of this, but I strive on towards the goal.  I strive on towards the goal of being who Christ has called me to be and the goal of having a family who knows and loves the Lord Jesus, and who is a reflection of his glory in our dark and needy times.
I was called by the Lord to homeschool my children and that is the one claim I can stand firm on.  He has asked me to teach my children about him- to instruct them along the way as I am going and I am coming…  And I believe I am being faithful to that.  Although, often, I am speaking of the Lord’s righteousness in reference to my own lack, and I am teaching my children repentance as I model it to them.
 I would love to be the morph of  June Cleaver/ Elizabeth Eliott / The Proverbs 31 woman/ Martha Stewart/ and Christy Brinkly, but my reality falls a little short of that “shero”.  I am not the spectacular mother, wife, and woman I desire to be, but because of my savior I am not done yet.  The word speaks of God’s children as being simple clay pots.  But we are not pots that are left empty.  In stead, we are humble vessels filled with the treasure of infinite worth.  If I’m willing to let go of myself , that treasure can shine through.
I live for the glory of Christ- although I stumble so often.  I give thanks today for the message that our emptiness can be the platform for His greatness.  So, when the day comes that I can walk down the grocery store aisle with delightful, clean, well-behaved children, you will know- it had nothing to do with me and it has everything to do with Christ.

3 comments:

  1. As a new homeschool mom, I can totally relate to the picture you describe and the feelings accompanying it. But you hit the nail on the head--we do this for Christ and for no one else. Not even for ourselves.

    God Bless,
    Jane
    (thank Ouiz for the link)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a post by someone last week or so (I sooo lose track of time this time of year!!), in which the author said something like, "I don't care how anyone else's family performs. I am responsible for three homeschoolers, and that's all." It wasn't quite as curt as I might be making it sound, and her focus was more on how it's not her job to be a "homeschooling evangelist." But what she said is true: However this works for anyone else, my own mission is pretty clear -- and equally unique and limited.

    I also like this saying: "Never compare your insides to someone else's outsides." Everybody struggles with something, and everything we observe in other homeschoolers is necessarily taken out of context (both the impressive and the depressing!) :)

    Sure sounds like you're on the right track here. May God bless you (and all of us!) in this endeavor!

    Warmly,
    Eileen ("Eileen on Him ... at least, I try!")
    -- here via Ouiz, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your comments. What great reminders- especially on the eve of our return to school.

    ReplyDelete