Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Enlisted Life


Eleven years ago I enlisted.  I enlisted into the ranks of motherhood.  Since then, I've worked  hard to learn  the drills .   Learning the formations and keeping pace is an on-going challenge.  The daily drills look something like this:

Drill 1- Feed, Clothe, Clean, Do it Again
Drill2-  Nurture, Educate, Correct,  Do it Again
Drill 3- Buckle, Drive, Talk, Listen, Scream, Wait, Do It Again
Drill 4- Balance, Save, Pay, Shop, Do It Again

March, march, march, two, three, four...
Left, left, left, right, left....

  I'm marching.  I'm marching all day, and by six o'clock I'm crashing.  So, when I hear keys at the door, I am thrilled.  It's time for the changing of the guard.   In walks my prince, I hand him my rifle (figuratively speaking, of course) and off I flee to solitude.   Or at least, that's what I like to do.

But lately I've been reevaluating.  I feel like I have been running on empty.  So I wonder what do I really need to be refreshed?  I think the thing I  want is a little pleasure.  I'd like to feel  good and feel valued.   Who doesn't?  It's awesome being "mom", but sometimes I'd like to be "me".
 
But what is a woman to do?  Hmm.  Maybe God has already given me what I need.   A couple of weeks ago a bell went off in my head.   I have this fabulous, sexy, romantic man living in my house, and I'm using him as a night shift nanny.  Don't get me wrong-I'm all about shared labor.  But, I want it all!  

So, I decided to conduct an experiment.  (Thanks to Dr Laura, author of The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.)  When my husband got home, I would stop what I was doing and enjoy a real, unhurried kiss from him.  I would start to notice all the kind things he does for me, and thank him.  I'd try to be a little less sensitive when he was tired or grumpy, and give him the understanding that I expect from him.  I'd treat our evening together like they were dates- with or without kids I wanted to laugh with my husband and enjoy him.

And, so far, life has been delightful!  I feel refreshed by the same evening routines that seemed so difficult before.  My husband has returned all of my affection and appreciation ten fold.  It's so nice to remember that I am loved and desired.  It's always there, but sometimes I don't slow down (or stop grumbling) enough to appreciate it.   
 
Happy Valentine's to all you hard working mamas out there!  May it be your best one yet.

1 comment:

  1. You are always so profound it's wonderful!! I love watching your life, and knowing that someday I would love to balance all that you do and still have the wonderful heart I see in you. Happy Valentines day!! I love and miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete